July 30, 2012

Homemade dishwasher detergent

I figured that since everything else was on Pinterest there had to be a way to make my own dishwasher detergent. BINGO! Found an inexpensive way and decided to give it a try.

Recipe calls for 1 box of borax, one box of washing soap, 24 packs of unsweetened lemonade, and 3 cups of epsom salt.



Just mix it all together and you're done! Put 1 tbsp in each load.

It made enough to fill up the container I usually keep my detergent in and I put the rest back into the borax box and it filled it up too.



Overall, I think all of this cost around $10, but it should last me a long time.

Update- I wrote up this post a few weeks ago. I have used this detergent a few times and I'm not sure my thoughts on it. Some loads come out really clean. But all the bottles and some of our clear plastic cups look cloudy. I'll continue using it for a while and then decide I guess.

11/9/12 update- I stopped using this because it was making all the plastic cups, bowls, and bottles very cloudy and weird feeling. I now just use it for cleaning out the sink, tub, or toilet.
If anyone has a better recipe, feel free to share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment